SCI’s Center for Maritime Education (CME) empowers merchant mariners with valuable training and professional advancement opportunities, a natural extension of the ministry that SCI provides.
At facilities in Houston and Paducah, highly-qualified instructors engage mariners with adult education courses, both traditional and online, developed to industry and USCG standards.
CME’s simulator-based courses utilize best-in-class navigation simulation technology, challenging mariners’ reactions and skills with dynamic and interactive exercises. This allows companies to assess and improve judgment and decision-making.
CME has an extensive library of geographic databases that include major critical navigation areas along the GIWW and the Western Rivers, plus a full range of vessels and tow configurations, including Z-drives.
Bridge Resource Management (BRM)
BRM and APM’s careful design strengthens vessel operators’ watch-standing skills – imperative to the professional mariner. The simulations and course material emphasize real-world situations so mariners can take away lessons pertinent to their work.BRM and APM’s careful design strengthens vessel operators’ watch-standing skills – imperative to the professional mariner. The simulations and course material emphasize real-world situations so mariners can take away lessons pertinent to their work.
BRM is a 3-day, USCG-approved course with assessment, covering:
- human factors
- situational awareness
- collision avoidance
- risk assessment
- rules of the road
- voyage planning
- communication skills
Advanced Pilothouse Management (APM)
This course is extremely flexible and can be tailored to the specific needs of each company. APM includes similar topics to BRM course (see above), and may include new material developed by the company.
- Terms (both BRM and APM)
- Contract User: Customized session for 8-12 wheelmen including exclusive use of four-bridge Kongsberg simulator suite, with guaranteed space on the calendar on a multi-year basis
- Open Enrollment: Pre-paid sessions designed for smaller, growing companies unable to commit 8 wheelmen for a class
- Affordable, anytime, anywhere training across multiple devices
- Both LMS and course modules customized to your company’s brand
- Content available separately for your LMS
- Excel-based reports for auditing purposes
- Unlimited training, per person, per year
- Unrestricted access to the HSE library
- Free technical support and administrative training
- Short, direct, professionally-narrated PowerPoint presentations using low bandwidth
BRM/APM Alumni e-learning (coming soon)
Using video from CME’s simulators our instructors provide engaging online refresher
modules on critical navigation topics such as flanking and downstreaming.
Towing Officer Assessment Program (TOAP)
For Western Rivers and Near Coastal (CME Houston only)
- 1 week course
- 2 mariners in private simulator suite with close-quarter maneuvering capability
- 15-29 days of sea time towards endorsements means completion of TOAR in one week
Individual Aptitude Assessments
- 1-day course in private simulator suite with close-quarter maneuvering capability
- Recognized by USCG for TOAR
- Useful for pre-employment evaluations, company directed instruction, post-incident evaluation, and vetting
Combination of simulator training and classroom sessions:
basic boat handling, rules of the road, navigation systems
safety drills and incident response training
24 days of sea service for week 1 and 26 days for week 2, upon successful completion of supervised simulations with homework for 2 weeks, plus end-of-week exams.
Radar Renewal for All Grades
CME offers USCG-approved Radar renewal classes (all grades), included at no extra charge during BRM or APM. For course schedule, click here.