The work of international seafarers, river mariners and Gulf Coast offshore workforce sometimes goes unnoticed, but their efforts make a big difference in our world. Hardworking men and women deliver the goods that make our modern way of life possible, spending extended periods away from their homes and families.
SCI provides pastoral care, continuing maritime education, legal advocacy and other indispensable services to the maritime community.
We do not act alone. As an extension of outreach in their neighborhoods and beyond, Mariner Friendly Churches around the country partner with SCI in its ministry. SCI relies on and deeply values the support of faith-based communities who make our mission possible.
SCI offers opportunities to share God’s love with folks from all over the world. As an extension of outreach in their neighborhoods and the world, faith communities around the country partner with SCI in this ministry to mariners. SCI relies on and deeply values the support of faith-based communities who make our mission possible.
Many congregations choose to become Mariner Friendly Churches. Based on their location and capability, they commit to helping SCI through prayer, service, gift collection and distribution and financial support. They minister to real needs of fellow human beings.
SCI provides worship resources for faith communities of all denominations to share in maritime ministry, and SCI Chaplains are available to speak to churches, youth groups and other organizations. Without the support of churches, SCI could not accomplish its unique and valuable work.
Email us for information on becoming a Mariner Friendly Church.
A Mariner Friendly Church (MFC) enters into mission partnership with SCI, sharing a covenant to serve mariners.
For its MFC community, SCI promises to
- Send a chaplain or other representative at least once a year to preach or talk about SCI’s ministry
- Provide materials for Mariners’ Sunday, Sunday School/small group classes, volunteer opportunities and areas of interest
- List your name on our website as an MFC
- Present you with an MFC certificate
- Invite you to join our ministry hands-on at our hospitality centers or work sites
As a committed partner of SCI, an MFC promises to
- Receive a chaplain or other SCI representative once a year to visit OR come visit an SCI site at least once a year (time/location allowing)
- Include mariners and SCI in your Prayers of Intercession regularly, especially around Maritime Day (May 22) or on a designated Mariners’ Sunday
- Hyperlink to SCI on your website (under the Mission or Outreach heading)
- Provide volunteer, in-kind and financial support as possible (e.g., Christmas at Sea knitting or collecting, volunteering at a hospitality center or making an outreach grant)
Our mission is possible only with your support.
The Seamen’s Church Institute
50 Broadway, Floor 26
New York, NY 10004